SmartThings Inc. is a smart home that focuses on the development and advancement of automation software and programs. It was founded by Alex Hawkinson in 2011.
Its headquarters is in California in the United States, while its development center is in Minnesota.
Table of Contents
- History of SmartThings
- Products and Services
- The SmartThings App
- How SmartThings Works
History of SmartThings
In winter of 2011, Alex had a fault in his house that caused a series of damages costing him about Eighty Thousand Dollars ($80,000). He felt he would have been able to prevent the issue if he knew about the issue before it happened. So he began to build a SmartThings model.
In 2013 August, SmartThings started selling their products on their website, and in September 2013, on Amazon website, amazon.com.
In August 2014, SmartThings became a subsidiary of Samsung Electronics but still operated as an independent company under Samsung’s Internet of Things space.
Products and Services
This is a list of some SmartThings Products and what they do:
- SmartThings Cam: This is a full HD camera that delivers a clear, detailed view allowing you to monitor your home from your phone, tablet or PC. This is sold on the website for $89.99.
- SmartThings Wi-Fi Smart Plug: This helps you to control the things you use daily from your phone, using the SmartThings app. This is sold on the website for $17.99.
- SmartThings Outlet: This sets appliances and electronics to turn on and off at any time of the day or when temperature changes. This is sold on the website for $34.99.
- Samsung SmartThings Wi-Fi 3-Pack: This is a powerful Wi-Fi router that doubles as a smart home hub. This is sold on the website for $279.99.
- SmartThings Tracker: This is a water-resistant tracker that helps you track important things. This is sold on the website for $99.99.
- SmartThings Strap Pouch: This is a portable SmartThings tracker case. This is sold on the website for $9.99.
- SmartThings Smart Bulb: This is an energy-saving LED bulb that you can control from the SmartThings app. This is sold on the website for $9.99.
- SmartThings Hub: This enables you to connect your devices wirelessly and make them work together. This is sold on the website for $69.99.
- SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor: This helps you know when doors or windows are opened or closed. This is sold on the website for $19.99.
- SmartThings Water Leak Sensor: This sends alerts to your devices when moisture is detected in your home. This is sold on the website for $19.99.
- SmartThings Button: This enables you to control connected Things at the touch of a button. Set electronics, appliances and lights to turn on or off. This is sold on the website for $14.99.
- SmartThings Arrival Sensor: This sends push notifications to your device when people or pets approach your house. You can also put one in your child’s backpack. This is sold on the website for $19.99.
The SmartThings App
Navigating the SmartThings App is pretty easy to do. The first tab at the bottom of the screen is called the Dashboard. This is where you will be able to do things like monitor your home and set up favourite routines and devices to control quickly and easily.
The My Home tab at the bottom is where you will be able to control the different devices in your home and turn devices and switches on and off.
There is also an automation tab. It is used to set up your home to change automatically depending on your actions. It is called the IFTTT (If This, Then This).
It works on your actions and options. For example, If I leave the room, turn off the light and so on. That is what really makes it a smart home. With this, the house will be able to control itself without you needing to intervene.
There is also the Market Place. This is where you can buy more compatible SmartThings devices. The menu on the top-left corner is where you will get a few different options and settings that do not fall under the normal app.
For example, you can set the app to ask for fingerprint authentication when you open the app, in case you are worried about someone else gaining access to your home devices. You can also set notification preferences and get customer support.
How SmartThings Works
Samsung SmartThings is largely considered to be the best smart home system out there, as it is highly versatile and reliable. It connects to a huge range of different devices.
You can control and automate your home straight from your phone. Some people, however, find using SmartThings a little complex.
You will find below, steps on how to use it and set it up correctly. They are:
1. Set up the SmartThings Hub
It is relatively easy to do. Just plug the hub into a power outlet, and connect it to your internet router. Then download the SmartThings app, create an account, and follow the on-screen instructions to connect the hub to your account.
2. Setting up New Devices
Setting up a device is really easy. It just depends on what device you are setting up. If you are setting up a Samsung SmartThings device, simply open up the app and the head to Things tab under My Home. There is an option to add a Thing.
The hub will detect Samsung devices automatically and add them to the list of devices (Things) on your home setup. If it is not a Samsung device, you may need to do it manually. To do that, touch the Add Device Manually button.
Then scroll through the list of devices and services and find the one you want.